Sunday, June 19, 2022

19 June 2022


I had a walk around the reservoir this morning and came across a Redshank stopping by.  It was rather distant, but you can see the orange legs that explain its name.  

Redshank [Reservoir]

Somewhat closer were a few sparrows and finches feeding in the grass and occasionally perching on the barbed wire.
House Sparrow [Reservoir]

Greenfinch [Reservoir]

Goldfinches [Reservoir]

Whilst overhead House Martins, Swifts and a few Swallows were feeding on the flies.

House Martin [Reservoir]

Swift [Reservoir]

In the week I joined the Oxford Flora Group, who were surveying Two Pine Fen.  I discovered that the orchids I had previously identified as Narrow-leaved Marsh Orchid, were actually Common Spotted.  We only managed to find this rather sorry specimen.

Narrow-leaved Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza traunsteinerioides [16th Red]

Virtually next to this were a couple of Early Marsh Orchids, which to me were pretty much indistinguishable, however, to those more expert have a slightly different flower shape.  I suspect that the orchids that I identified as Southern Marsh on the 9th Red are also Early Marsh.  It emphasised to me that the Dactylorhiza orchids require an expert to separate and are more of a continuum than a set of distinct species.

Early Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza incarnata [16th Red]


No comments:

Post a Comment