Sunday, June 2, 2024

2 June 2024

 I had a long walk around the Red and Blue course this morning.  I came across several Cinnabar moths between the 13th and 15th Red.  I often see them here - they are easy to spot with their bright red underwing, particularly as they are day-flying.

Cinnabar Tyria jacobaeae [15th Red]

Dragonflies are much more evident on the course now that full summer is approaching.  This female Broad-bodied Chaser was between the 4th and 5th on the Red.  The first time that I have seen one of these at Frilford.  Notice the broad, flat abdomen, hence the name.

Broad-bodied Chaser Libellula depressa [4th Red]

 The distinctive small blue flowers and fleshy leaves of Brooklime can be found in the stream on the 18th Red.  I've not seen this here before - it also grows in the ditches on the Blue course.

Brooklime Veronica beccabunga [18th Red]

A few of the orchid species are flowering now.  I have seen Pyramidal Orchids, various Marsh Orchids and Common Spotted.  This Common Spotted Orchid was growing on the right of the 18th Red.

Common Spotted Orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii [18th Red]


No comments:

Post a Comment