Had a walk around this morning and 9 holes this evening. There are a few plants around, particularly the mint family at this time of year. This Gypsywort was next to the pond on the 1st Blue.
Gypsywort Lycopus europaeus [1st Blue]
I was quite encouraged to see a few familiar birds, particularly as I haven't seen much over the summer. There was a family of Spotted Flycatchers on the 4th Blue so it was nice to see that they have bred successfully again. I haven't seen a Kingfisher on the estate all summer, so it was good to see this one through the reeds on the pond on the 6th Blue.
Kingfisher [6th Blue]
Later on I came across around 20 Yellow Wagtails on the Tubney driving range. They were mixed in with a flock of Pied Wagtails. They can often be found on golf courses and other areas of grassland at this time of year as they prepare to fly south for the winter. There were a couple on the 3rd green (Red) and a small flock near the reservoir.
Yellow Wagtail [3rd Red]
Yellow Wagtail [Reservoir]
When playing this evening, my playing partner pointed out an insect on the flowers next to the first tee which turned out to be a Hummingbird Hawk moth. He probably regretted doing so as I then spent the next 15 minutes trying to get a decent photograph. These are remarkable insects that migrate to the UK from southern Europe and North Africa. They hover like hummingbirds around flowers and poke their proboscis to such up nectar - much like a hummingbird does with it's beak.
No comments:
Post a Comment