Thursday, April 15, 2021

15 April 2021

Spent some time with the Ashmolean Natural History Society of Oxford this morning - looking at early season plants on the Doghouse practice range.   This was a great opportunity to be shown some of the rare plants on this Site of Special Scientific Interest by some experts on the flora.  I learnt a lot about the plants there.  Key lessons included:

- A lot of the plants are very small and difficult to see, let alone identify;

- Many of them are more usually found on the coast and enjoy the sandy soil on the range;

- There are lots of rare Trefolium (clovers) and Cerastium (Mouse-ears);

It was fascinating to be shown some of the specialities from the range - I would definitely not have been able to spot or identify them myself.  I will keep going up as hopefully more of them start to flower and give me a bit more of a chance.  Here are a few that I photographed today.


Little Mouse-Ear Cerastium semidecandum [Doghouse range]

Sheep's Sorrel Rumex acetosella [Doghouse range]

Spring Beauty Claytonia perfoliata [Doghouse range]

Annual Knawel Scleranthus annuus [Doghouse range]


No comments:

Post a Comment